Thursday, July 3, 2014

Comparison Thursday: Light Teal Holos

This comparison is going to be short and not very good...  Admittedly, I forgot to write down my application notes when I took these pictures, so we're going to be relying mostly on the aesthetics of these polishes...  I do have some general memory of application, but I won't be able to get into the nitty-gritty of how many coats, etc...  My bad!  But I didn't want to let this week pass without a comparison.  So, let's get this started!

I purchased these myself or they were given to me as gifts from friends.


From left to right: Liquid Lacquer Teal Tails, Monster Polish Rainbows in the Sky, China Glaze Don't Be a Luna-tic, OPI Blue Moon Lagoon, and Enchanted Polish Ocean Potion.


To be honest, there isn't a whole lot similar between them other than they're all in the basic general mint/light teal holo family.  Otherwise, they're all pretty diverse.

Teal Tails



This polish was created for my blog's 1 year birthday last year, so it's not available anywhere.  It's a medium teal with a strong green flash.  The holo is a little tighter than a scattered holo, but it's not quite linear.  Application was easy and required little cleanup.

Rainbows in the Sky



Rainbows in the Sky was created by Monster Polish for my actual birthday last year, and I'm not sure if she has anymore laying around.  It's a lovely shade of teal but leans ever so slightly grey.  RitS is more of a creme based holo, which gives it a denser look that's also more scattered than the rest.  The thick and creamy consistency makes this polish super easy to apply.


Don't Be a Luna-Tic



DBaLt is the most linear of the group with the smallest holographic particles.  Unlike many other bottles, my bottles of the China Glaze Hologlams were all very holographic.  In the bottle, they're not much to look at, but once on the nail, the prism catches the light and goes crazy.  Application for DBaLt was a pain, though, much like its older counterparts the OMG collection.  I highly recommend using an aqua base to help with application.  Otherwise, it's probably the most pigmented of the group and required the least coats.  The Hologlam collection was discontinued last year, but you can still find them around the clearance bins of your local beauty supply shop.

Blue Moon Lagoon



Blue Moon Lagoon is a super hard to find polish that, while pretty, isn't quite worth the hype.  It's closest in color to Rainbows in the Sky while being more linear.  The holographic particles are on the larger side, and it is probably the least opaque of the bunch.  Application isn't terrible, but you do have to apply several coats for opacity.  You also have to be careful of pooling and flooding your cuticles.


Ocean Potion



Honestly?  I don't really know why I put this guy in here...  It's much darker than the rest and is a true teal versus the others' minty qualities.  Application was easy, even though I only have a decant of it in a mini bottle.  This one has been long discontinued and is very very hard to find.  I am very lucky that I was able to swap a decant of one of my Enchanteds for this bad boy.  The holographic particle size is around the same as Blue Moon Lagoon, but there's more of it, which makes the rainbow a little more pronounced.

I like them all for different reasons, and I've kept them all except for the China Glaze.  I just couldn't get over that application!  So, which of these do you like best?

(PS if this post is a bit incoherent in any way, I apologize!  I'm exhausted and about to crawl directly into the bed, which, if you know me, is unheard of!  10:30 and tired is not a normal Julie behavior!)

I purchased these myself or they were given to me as gifts from friends.

1 comment: