Thursday, February 27, 2014

Golden Oldies Thursday: Orange

If you've been reading for a while, you'll know that I am not the biggest orange fan.  Out of my entire collection, I have maybe only ten or so oranges?  So, when this challenge came up, it was inevitable that I'd be re-wearing a polish I've already reviewed on the blog before.  That being said, I decided to put on my favorite mainstream orange, Zoya Myrta.  Teeeeeeeechnically, I have actually already done a brief review of Myrta here, but I wanted to do a more in depth review of it since it is such a great polish.

Here is the GOT Polish schedule of events if you would like to follow along or participate.



Remember the rules:

  • The polish you use must be at least a year old.
  • If you haven't been a polishaholic for that long, you can use the oldest polishes you have.
  • The polish should be previously used, but if you're stuck, you can use a polish from your untrieds stack.
  • You can use more than one polish as long as it fits the rules.
I received this mini of Zoya Myrta during Zoya's 2012 Summer Beach and Surf IG promotion.




Color: Red leaning orange with gold and orange shimmers.
Finish: Foil – a polish that has metallic flecks that look like aluminum foil.



Bottle / Brush: Mini tapered bottle and cap - bottle tapers from a fat top to a smaller bottom making it a little harder to hold if you hold your bottles while you paint.  Even though this is the mini version of the bottle, it's still a bit more difficult to hold. The tapered cap actually makes for easier application as it's shorter than most caps, but provides enough length to help guide application without being too wide where you grip it.  The wand and brush are a little short, but they have average application.



Opacity: High – opaque at one to two coats! Here, I've used two coats for photos, but it's really a one coater, which as I've said before is my favorite thing in the world.
Glitter Application: N/A



Consistency: Medium – applies easily and doesn't flood the cuticles.
Overall Ease of Application: Easy – applies well without pooling, dragging, streaking, or balding.  Spreads evenly and smoothly.



Stampability: Stamps but the image is not as saturated. (Please excuse the crappy phone photo, it was the closest camera I had access to at the moment). This is a stamp of Myrta over my Simple Sheer Gelish mani. As you can see, it does in fact stamp, but the image isn't super saturated. I'll definitely need to try it over white to see how to comes out. I've tried over black, and it doesn't show up well at all, sadly.



Dry Time: Quick – dry to the touch without smudging in under 3 minutes.



Overall Thoughts: There are so many things right about this polish. It is super easy to apply - I didn't have to do any cleanup AT ALL. It's a one-coater. It dries quickly. It stamps (not the best stamper, but it does actually stamp). It's a lovely shade of orange with a pretty gold shimmer that doesn't make me look diseased. However, there is one MASSIVE drawback. You see, Myrta's a stainer. I had her on for literally 30 minutes while I took my photos and she left several of my nails a lovely shade of orange. And while that's only one fault, it is a big one. I'm not sure if it will stain on everyone or if it's just the interaction between Myrta and my body chemistry, but I wanted to make sure there was full disclosure. So there you are. Gorgeous polish, superb application, fantastic finish, but a terrible stainer. Womp womp!

You can purchase Zoyas at beauty supply shops like Ulta. However, make sure you're following their Facebook and IG because they often have promotions like the Beach and Surf promotion where you can get free polishes or polishes with drastically reduced prices.



No comments:

Post a Comment