Thursday, February 13, 2014

Golden Oldie Thursday: Valentine's Day

Wahoo!  I totally am rocking this challenge, and I'm so stoked!  I can almost never keep up with these, even if they're only once a week, but I'm really loving the fact that it isn't all about nail art.  So, let's take a look at tonight's offering - a pretty pink mani with a bit of stamping!

Here is the schedule of events if you would like to follow along or participate.



Remember the rules:

  • The polish you use must be at least a year old.
  • If you haven't been a polishaholic for that long, you can use the oldest polishes you have.
  • The polish should be previously used, but if you're stuck, you can use a polish from your untrieds stack.
  • You can use more than one polish as long as it fits the rules.
All polishes were purchased by me.

Tonight's polishes all fit in the 1 year or older rule, even the polishes I used for stamping! All photos are taken under artificial light with one coat of KBShimmer Clearly on Top and one coat of Alter Ego She Shines to help fix the dull from wearing this mani all day. Here are the polishes I used:



China Glaze LOL, Lynnderella Mon Petit Chou Chou, Essie Pink-a-boo, OPI My Very First Knockwurst, and Nicole by OPI Pink Flower Power.



Pink-a-boo is a dainty as f pink (that's for you Sara) with an assortment of rainbow micro flakies.  I used four thick coats of Pink-a-boo as it is a jelly that takes several coats to get fully opaque.  You could still see my nail line a bit before I stamped, but it wasn't that bad.  Dry time is actually pretty fast despite having to use four layers!



OPI's My Very First Knockwurst is a taupe leaning pink cream, which I've previously reviewed here, but needless to say, my opinion has changed.  This is probably one of the polishes I grab for the most to use as undies.  I've finally figured out the trick to its application, which is thicker coats with sufficient time to dry in between.  I used two coats as undies underneath Mon Petit Chou Chou.



Mon Petit Chou Chou is a very pretty light pink with pink, purple, and silver glitters in hexes, squares, blossoms, butterflies, and hearts.  This is the first Lynn I've ever had an issue with in regards to getting glitter out of the bottle.  It's a super thin base where there is a lot more base than glitter.  It's a super sheer polish as well, which necessitated the use of undies.  While I did have some issues getting the glitters out, I was still able to fill up my nails without overloading my nail with base pooling at the sides and without wasting too much time.




I stamped using China Glaze LOL, NOPI Pink Flower Power, Bundle Monster's Holiday plates and a Red Angel plate on my right hand, which isn't shown.  Pink Flower Power stamped much better than I thought it would, which was a great surprise!  I wasn't sure it would transfer very well, but I think it did well because it's old and a bit thick.  I actually purchased this polish when I was in middle school, which was a long long long time ago.  It was easy to pick up the image from the plate and easy to transfer the image to my nail without having to rush.  Win win in my book!



China Glaze LOL stamped alright.  I was a bit disappointed with the opacity of the image transfer as it's hard to see the word Love on my ring finger.  Also, it required super quick work to apply before it dried.  When I say super quick, I mean you'd better scrape the excess and immediately pick up the image on your stamper and then quickly transfer the image to your nail.  Otherwise, it will dry on the plate...  Yeah...  I wish I'd had Color Club Eternal Beauty for a year because I think that it probably would've transferred better.  Either that or I should've stamped the purple onto Pink-a-boo instead of Mon Petit Chou Chou.




You can purchase NOPI and Essie at drugstores and beauty supply stores.  You can purchase China Glazes and OPIs at beauty supply stores.  Although, note that LOL has been long discontinued, so you'll need to find it at a salon or on a blog sale.  Lastly, you can purchase Lynnderellas at their store here.  So, there you have it!  I'm going to have another special valentine's day challenge post up tomorrow, so definitely check back then!



4 comments:

  1. Super cute!! Love the Essie. It's really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yeah, Pink-a-boo is one of my all time favorite polishes. It's soooo dainty and shimmery and pretty! :D

      Delete