Monday, December 3, 2012

Game Day Mani - SEC Championship Edition

Well, the game this weekend was a huge disappointment.  We came so close to making it into the national championship.  Both teams played their hearts out, so I can't be too upset.  Although, I do think it's complete and utter bullshit that Florida is going to the Sugar Bowl and we're going to Capital One.  Ridiculous.  Anyway, I'll stop complaining now.  I'm sure a bunch of you don't even care about college football, so sorry!  :)  Although, football has inspired my more creative nail art attempts.  This weekend I wore a water marble with a jelly sandwich accent nail for the game.

The polishes I used for the water marble were China Glaze Liquid Leather, Elevation Matsuda, and Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear White On.  For the jelly sandwich, I used Matsuda and Lynnderella Shape Shifter.


I've only done a handful of water marbles in my life, and they have all turned out pretty poorly.  I originally wanted to use some holographic polishes, but they didn't hold together once dropped into the water.  I changed it up and used my cremes instead.


It actually worked out really well!  It took me a little longer than a normal mani with nail art would take, but I think it's totally worth it.  The hubby, who doesn't really care about my manis, really liked the water marble, too.


For my accent nail, I chose Matsuda, which is a gorgeous red jelly with a slight shimmer.  I've had Lynnderella Shape Shifter for a little while, but I haven't really known how to wear it.  Shape Shifter is so densely packed with silver holographic glitters of all sorts of shapes and sizes.  I don't normally like to wear super chunky glitters on their own, so I settled on doing a jelly sandwich.


I feel like the jelly sandwich really subdued the in-your-faceness of Shape Shifter.  It's a gorgeous polish, but just too dense for me.  I think this was a perfect compromise.  I can still get the gorgeous shimmer and shapes of Shape Shifter without the overly saturated look on my nail.


I was so surprised by this mani.  I only had three or four bubbles and one smudge.  Otherwise, the rest of my nails look pretty close to perfect for me!  I'm getting better at this technique, so you may start seeing more of them to come.  I'm thinking of doing a peppermint swirl one for Christmas, so definitely keep an eye out for that!  China Glaze and Sally Hansen are available at beauty supply stores, drug stores, and grocery stores.  Elevation Matsuda can be found on Lulu's store here.  Follow her blog for updates and news.  Lynnderella can be purchased from her eBay store here, and you can also sign up for newsletters at her store page.

Oh, and one last bit for discussion...  If we hit 600 Facebook followers before I announce my holiday giveaway this Saturday, I will hold another "easy" giveaway with the jelly sandwich makin's I've posted about before.  Essentially, each Facebook follower will get 1 entry.  I will take that list, randomize it, and choose a winner from random.org.  No entry or crazy hoops to jump through required (that's for this weekend, rofl!).  If we can't hit it before this weekend, that's cool, too.  I'll just postpone that particular prize for another few months, lol.  

What's your favorite water marble combination?

7 comments:

  1. I love it! You did a wonderful job on this water marble and I think it turned out perfectly. :) Love the accent nail too. I have yet to do a jelly sandwich because I'm not exactly sure really how. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, it's so easy!!! I have a mini tutorial (without pictures, though) here: http://wishesofablueeyedgirl.blogspot.com/2012/09/jelly-sandwich-kbshimmer-elle.html

      I'd love to see what you come up with!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so very much! Now to figure out if I have any jelly polishes or if a trip to the local Sally's is in my near future. :)

      Delete
  2. I love your water marble it is so gorgeous! I am equally as disappointed and sad about the UGA game I just knew we had it in the bag :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Nichelle!!! :D I feel so bad for the kid who caught the ball. It's hard to overcome instinct. Poor kid. At least people are being pretty understanding and decent to him. I'm just pissed that Florida is going to the Sugar Bowl. IMO, post season games should NOT factor into BCS standings for the losing team... Not really sure how that work, but still. It's crap, lol.

      Delete