Monday, September 3, 2012

Nail Fail: Sonnetarium Edition

I'm still at the beach celebrating my parents' 40th wedding anniversary, but I did have some time to paint my nails.  I say this is a nail fail because I was in such a rush that my Seche Vite got the better of me.  This weekend, I did game-day nails, but I'm saving those for Wednesday as I have a Comparison Thursday related to my game day nails ready to go for this Thursday and wanted the full mani to be fresh in your minds.

Anyway, today, I used ULTA Mint Condition, which is a minty aqua that looks to be a dupe of China Glaze For Audrey, and Sonnetarium Never Glow Up.  You can purchase Sonnetarium from Michelle's etsy store and follow her on facebook for news and updates.


Look at that gorgeous glitter!

I wasn't sure I would like wearing a Tiffany colored polish, but I'm kinda digging it.  Sadly, the ULTA polish didn't apply well at all.  It was thick and streaky leaving bald spots all over the place.  I applied a bit thicker coat than normal on my second coat to try and get better coverage without a million coats, and I think that's what got me into trouble.  If you'll look closely, you can see I have some MAJOR shrinkage as well as smudging.

I had another nail disaster, so you get my right hand again.

After Mint Condition, I applied Sonnetarium Never Glow Up, which is an aqua/teal glitter top coat that glows in the dark.  It also has green/red/blue/gold iridescent hexes and gold flecks.  I seriously love this polish.  Michelle warns that it dries quickly and gravelly, so you need to work quickly so it doesn't drag and apply a top coat to smooth out the consistency.  Otherwise, it's a beautiful polish.  I was so in love, I misguidedly applied two coats of Never Glow Up, which made my mani quite thick and a bit unmanageable.  Needless to say, I will only apply one coat from now on.  One of the things I love the most about this polish are the iridescent hexes.  They shimmer green, blue, gold, and red.  I seriously <3 iridescent glitters!


Another thing I really love is the glow-in-the-darkness of it!  Look how bright it is!  This is in the bathroom without any lights.  So gorgeous!







I woke up this morning to major shrinkage and slight smudging, so I tried to remedy with some touch-ups on my tips.  Now, it kinda looks funny up close.  Luckily, you can't really tell from far away, but it drives my nail-OCD mind crazy.



Also, since I'm on vacation and brought the wrong remover (acetone with nutrients... ugh!), I had the WORST time cleaning up.  You'll see worse pictures from my game-day nails, which were a serious mess.  At least these polishes are light enough to get away with some polish on my cuticles.  I was hesitant to even show these pictures, but I figure I should show you guys the fails as well as the successes.  I think I may get China Glaze For Audrey to see if the consistency is better than the ULTA, but I've definitely decided that I am not a fan of Mint Condition's application.

Since I'm still trying to work through my untrieds, I have decided to extend Low-buy Untried August into Low-buy Untried September.  Both of these polishes are untried, and I have decided to keep Never Glow Up but list Mint Condition on my sale page here.  I'll have my sale page updated by next Monday, so keep checking back for more goodies.

Anyway, I've got to get back to the family and the beach, so I bid you all adieu for today.  Hope you all have a happy and safe Labor Day if you celebrate it!

What was your most disappointing nail fail?

No comments:

Post a Comment