Monday, September 24, 2012

A (not quite right) gradient: Ama Dablam and Blue Moon Lagoon

Yesterday I tried my very first gradient.  It didn't go great, but I think I know how to fix it next time!  I used OPI Blue Moon Lagoon for my base and used Elevation Ama Dablam on top for the gradient.  I got Ama Dablam as one of those, "Oh no!  It's about to be discontinued!  I must have it even though I may not really like the color!" purchases.  I'm not really into golds, browns, or coppers, so I really wasn't sure I'd like it once I got it.  I tried it on my nail wheels over about 15 different base colors, and I still wasn't 100% sold on it.  Until I remembered my bottle of Blue Moon Lagoon.


Here are closeups of the bottles:
Look at those round glitters!!

Raaaaaainbow!

Elevation Ama Dablam is a very lightly brown tinted glitter with gold micro glitter, teal hexes and squares, and unique round copper glitters.  The teal glitters are holographic and shine brightly in the light.  I can't speak to application as I applied it with a makeup sponge in order to complete my "sort of" gradient.  I got a little heavy-handed on a few nails, so they aren't really gradients.  I think I know what I did wrong this time, so I'm definitely going to try this again.


Here it is blurry so you can see the holographic sparkles.

See how my ring finger is pretty much completely covered?


Blue Moon Lagoon is a teal holographic polish that applies very thinly.  This is three coats as the base.  I applied the glitter while the base color was still tacky, so the holographic rainbow isn't as vivid.  Blue Moon Lagoon is a discontinued polish that I purchased from a salon.  You can find it on ebay now, but it's very expensive.  I suggest checking your local salons for it if you're looking for it.


Once I put this over Blue Moon Lagoon, I simply couldn't stop staring at it.  Check it out in the sun!  So sparkly!!

The tip wear is from actual wear this time and not shrinkage from SV.

Here it is closeup in the sun.  You can see the rainbow from Blue Moon Lagoon in the left picture, but you can see the glitters better in the pic on the right.



Unfortunately, Ama Dablam was a limited edition and is no longer being sold.  However, you can find more Elevation polishes here.  Follow Lulu on her blog here for news and updates.  Lulu is on vacation and will be skipping her October restock, so definitely make sure to keep an eye on her blog for more news regarding reopening her shop.

Do you do gradients?  What's your favorite gradient technique?

8 comments:

  1. Interesting combo both polish are stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was surprised with how well that combo worked. I was iffy on both of them, but when I combined them, I knew I had to keep them for forever and always! :)

      Delete
  2. That looks so good on you Julie!! I love it!! I think that's a very beautiful combo too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sara!!! I can't wait to see what you do with yours! ;)

      Delete
  3. I love Ama Dablam! It looks amazing over Blue Moon Lagoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was really surprised at how it turned out. :)

      Delete
  4. My fave blog post b/c I love Ama Dablam and you have shorties like me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost always have shorties. No matter how hard I try, I can't get them to get longer than just a little past the tip of my finger. I'm glad I can represent those of us who wear 'em short! ;)

      Delete